Friday, October 30, 2009

Iraqi man accused of running down daughter found in Atlanta

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/30/arizona.iraqi.daughter/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

On October 20 Faleh Hassan Almaleki, 48, hit Noor Faleh Almaleki, his 20 year old daughter, and her friend Amal Edan Khalaf, in a parking lot with the vehicle he was driving. The incident occurred in Peoria, Arizona, a town about 13 miles northwest of Phoenix. Faleh Hassan Almaleki says that he went after his daughter because he was angry at her. "She had become too 'Westernized' and was not living according to [the family's] traditional Iraq[i] values." Faleh Hassan Almaleki was taken into custody at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, according to the Marshals Service. The reason why Faleh Hassan Almaleki was in Atlanta was not immediately known. After the incident, according to police, Noor Faleh Almaleki was hospitalized with life-threatening injuries and Amal Edan Khalaf did not receive life-threatening injuries. Earlier this week, police said that both women remained hospitalized.

In my opinion, I think Faleh Hassan Almaleki is a physcho. And I feel terrible for Noor Faleh Almaleki and her friend. They did absolutely nothing wrong. I think it's wrong that Noor's father expects her to live according to traditional Iraqi standards. I feel that she lives in America, she is 20 years old, and she has the right to make her own decisions and choices. Therefore, she should be able to be free to decide for herself how she wants to dress and present herself. Besides how I feel about the expectations Noor's father has for her, I think he's out of his mind to go out and hit her with his vehicle. That's insane! How could a father do that to his own daughter?! I firmly believe that he is a man with some serious physiological problems and needs to be given some help. But more than anything I feel that he should be kept away from his daughter or at least monitored when he is around her. If I were Noor I would want nothing to do with my crazy-maniac father. And I feel that when deciding what Mr. Almaleki's punishments are going to be, Noor's safety should be taken into consideration. And I think that when Noor is better her view on the circumstance should also be taken into account. If she feels comfortable saying, "hey, he's my father just let it be," okay then. But if she feels in danger and says, "Please keep him away from me," then different measures should be taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment